EME 2040: Blog Journal #4

    I chose grade level eight, and the LAFS.8.L.3.4 standard. For this standard, I would clarify the meaning of words for my eighth grade students. Specifically, I would focus on words from class readings and content that my students do not understand. The readings would be for eighth grade students. The strategies implemented would include: using context such as word position, using common-Latin roots, consulting reference materials like dictionaries and glossaries, and verifying the definition of words. I do feel prepared to implement this standard based on my current skill set. This grade level is about to enter high school and as an English major, I believe I have the skill set to teach my students how to understand words they do not know. I have had to reach lots of novels and understand words I do not know. I can use my own experience to help my students understand. This too involves patience and understanding where my students are struggling in class. 
    For tools and resources, I selected eighth grade and English Literature as the subject area. The tool used is for Greek and Latin roots such as anti, capit, bene, bon, and mal. The tool provides a general tutorial/lesson for each root. It then has practice for each root and gives further detail about how to apply the root. There is also practice given for the roots, so that students can apply what they learned. I would use this resource because it gives a step-by-step lesson for each root. I also like how practice problems are given. It is important that my students can apply what they learned and ask questions for things they still do not understand. I really enjoyed this tool and hope to implement it in my future classroom. 
    I believe it is important to be a proficient Internet searcher as a teacher. By doing so, I can communicate with my students electronically and show them new resources on the Internet. In today's society, we rely on the Internet, and it is a great source to find information. Sometimes it can be overwhelming to use the Internet. Yet, I can show my students these resources, so they can stay involved and active on the Internet. I think I will use the Google advanced search moving forward. There are multiple ways to apply the advanced search in my writing and in my future career. I typically use thesaurus.com to find synonyms and antonyms for specific words. In the future, I plan to show this to my students, so they can discover new words that have similar meanings. 
    

Comments